Roberto Martinez is looking to further cull his team currently playing in the English Championship, after their relegation from top flight football.
The £7 million addition from Barcelona Adama Traore is set to join former long term skipper Gabriel Agbonlahor as they exit the club this summer.
Agbonlahor used to be the star of the team, having played for no other club despite the offers then. His form deteriorated to an unacceptable level, and his off-the-field issues hastened his downfall. He remains Villa’s highest goal scorer with the 73 goals in 322 games record. He couldn’t help the team when they really needed him last term, scoring only one goal. His current deal runs till 2018 but the club is willing to allow a free transfer after coach Roberto Di Matteo told him he was not part of the season’s plans. True to his word, he was excluded from the list that lost to Sheffield Wednesday in the season opener.
Agbonlahor said his goodbye through his social media account when he posted: “Thank u [you] for all your support but sometimes good things come to an end.” Following the Chinese takeover, Agbonlahor would be off the club’s books, with the club making additions. Chelsea’s Patrick Bamford and Huddersfield player Nahki Wells are said to be the top of Di Matteo’s list.
Aside the positions in the front, Villa are reported to be willing to splash £3 million to get Spurs defender DeAndre Yedlin. The club made him the next likely target as they continue work on getting Leicester City’s Ritchie De Laet before the transfer window closes. 23-year old Yedlin is set to leave White Hart Lane this season, leaving Villa to take advantage. West Brom defender James Chester is one the radar as well, despite six signings under the new owner so far.